Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The American Educational System

I agree that the American Educational System is failing and our country is probably far behind others. I know from personal experience when I think back on my schooling I can't think of much that I actually learned by going to school. I did my assignments and got fairly decent grades but anything I learned I feel like I probably forgot by the time the next school year began. Math and Science are two subjects I do not understand very well at all and they pretty much go right over my head. I wish that somehow I could've learned more in those subject areas in high school. I found a great article from Time Magazine, I used Google to search the topic, it is dated from 2007 but I think what it states is still current. It talks a lot about how much America spends on educating the mentally retarded but doesn't spend much on students who are gifted and uber smart. It also mentions how back in the 80's a child with a high IQ was permitted to move up prematurely in grade level, however today there is more of a focus on keeping all of the children with their age group in a certain grade even if they are on a different level. This is the link to the article http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1653653-1,00.html

3 comments:

  1. As an older student, you are very much correct. I went to junior high school with a couple of classmates who were moved up one grade level because of their IQ. The focus was more on you becoming successful as a student than numbers or categories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that math and science are where we are really falling behind at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew there was a movement today to keep smarter kids in their grade levels.

    ReplyDelete